Monday 7 May 2007

Stand in awe of Renovation Man

Yes indeed, I am pleased to announce that yesterday, just before lunchtime, I finished repainting my deck. And it only took me four months, including all of the weekends when I decided there were better things to do with my life, the incident on Anzac Day where I ran out of paint with only a couple of metres of the railing left to go, and repainting over the part of the railing that I thought would look good with a colour change (it would have, if it had turned out grey like on the paint chart rather than purple like in reality).

Four months...that's pathetic.

This, though, leads me to a broader philosophical debate that I mentioned to the good wife last night - in the five and a bit months I have left before our baby is born, should I spend the time getting a whole bunch of stuff done around the house, or should I rip into life with reckless abandon and do all the fun stuff now that I might not be able to do later? On the one hand, I will probably have far more time at home in the future on weekends and so on with a new baby and will probably be looking for ways to occupy myself, which might finally lead to me having a decent garden and all the broken things being fixed. So I might as well go out now, go driving, go go-karting, take off to somewhere interesting on five minutes' notice, read some good books, etc. On the other hand, I might be so busy with a new baby that there won't be time for doing anything else around the house so I should get stuck in right now.

(If there is plenty of time to spare after the baby's born...I wonder if I will have enough time and money to start on a project car? Hmm...)

In any case, the baby's room will need to be sorted out and repainted relatively soon. Given that it is currently being used as a sort of study, you can imagine how full of crap it actually is and how much of it is about to end up in my garage. But I can promise you one thing - given my history with colour changing around the house (the super-vivid blue bathroom and purple deck railing), I won't be changing the colour of anything. I will go and find the square on the colour chart that most closely matches 'bought in bulk new house grey' that the walls were painted in back in 1994....and paint them that colour again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would definietly go for the live and party now while you still can approach... Soon the days will be gone where you can be sitting on the couch mooching and watching TV, then suddenly decide to grab your things and go out. Who will watch the baby, will they come to us, will we bring it to them, how long can they watch it for, how much will it cost... well, you get the idea...

Marco said...

Yeah. I think the one thing I will really miss is the ability to just jump up and go somewhere on a minute's notice, rather than having to pack all of baby's things into the car for the big expedition and having to totally pre-plan everything...