Tuesday 15 May 2007

Try marketing to this demographic

What does it say about me that the only TV shows I can say that I regularly watch are Top Gear, SBS World News (Late Edition) and Lateline?

Oh, sure, I see other things - At the Movies is one, and some of the medical and cop dramas I watch sometimes by default (because they happen to be on, not through any deliberate action on my part), but those three listed are the only ones I actually go and seek out. Top Gear because it's the best car show around, SBS World News because it's actually a really good news programme and it's on at a time that suits me, and Lateline becuase it's typically the last thing I will haev on the TV before I go to bed at night (to the point where if it's been a long day, I fall asleep in the middle of it) and because I think Tony Jones is probably the best serious journalist on TV these days and I like it when he gets irritated with guests who won't answer the question properly.

(I wonder if Tony Jones finds it a little disturbing that the majority of the viewers of his serious nightly wrap of news and current affairs with a heavy political focus are in bed?)

So yes, from a marketing point of view, how do you sell to that demographic? I suppose someone needs to build a car with a radio that only tunes to ABC stations and then try and sell it to me...

No comments: